Sunday, August 12, 2012

Time to face the music.

I was looking at my sick days for the year the other day and counted them all up.  I am sitting at 18 days in the last year.  16 days of that are arthritis days.  That doesn't include days I took vacation days rather than sick days.  It's time to face the music and start thinking about applying for Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).  I haven't done much research on it yet.  Honestly I have been stalling hoping it wasn't going to be a reality.  One of those if you ignore it, it doesn't exist kind of things, but unfortunately it does exist. 

I talked to a friend the other day who has Chron's disease.  She suggested I look into FMLA.  She is on it, and said it offers a level of protection against being discriminated against at work because of your illness or disability.  It kind of feels like giving up to admit I am at the point that I need to go on FMLA, but the truth of the matter is I am at that point.  So Thursday when I go to see my Dr I am going to have him help me fill out the paperwork.  I am going to give in.

I wish I didn't have this decision to make.  I've known it would come to this at some point.  Just as I know the day will come when I can't work.  It doesn't make the path any less rocky when you know those rocks are waiting for you to climb over them.

I guess it's time to start doing that research.  Let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment