Saturday, November 2, 2013

And time rolls forward... Unless you have daylight savings then tonight it rolls back.

I know it's been a bit since I've posted.  I haven't had a lot of updating to do.  My psoriasis has been doing the winter flare, but it still isn't as bad as it has been the past few years so that didn't seem noteworthy.

There have been some announcements in the last few months in the Psoriasis/PsA community you all should be aware of.  Firstly Stelara has been approved for Psoriatic Arthritis.  I know some of you have already been on this therapy through your Dermatologist, but now your Rheumatologist can prescribe it ON LABEL for Psoriatic Arthritis for those of you who do not have a Derm or who do not present with severe enough Psoriasis for this treatment in the past.  Secondly Cimzia has been approved for PsA .   Yes that's right TWO new approvals in September!  There is also some news of a new therapy in the pipeline for Psoriasis and as info comes out I'll be sure to let you all know.  Right now it's very shallow info and pretty much just that it's being put through Phase III trials right now.  So there you have it.  There seems to finally be some real progress in treatment options.  This is very good news for those of us who have gone through all the options.  It's been a long few years waiting for new options.

All that being said it appears that Stelara isn't an option for me right now because the VA here in Phoenix doesn't carry it in the pharmacy.  I may see if I can apply for a waiver once I talk to Dermatology, but the Rheumatologist didn't think that was likely to happen.  It seems odd that it is available in other VA's and they don't have it in their pharmacy inventory or available to order at this VA.  My new Rheum did say she would look into Cimzia, but when I was there it was not updated on the VA's therapy list for PsA so I couldn't start it last week.

I apologize for not posting this here last month when the info became available.  I have it posted on our Facebook page so please come on over if you are a Facebook person. Sausage Toes and Scales on Facebook  <<<< click there.

In my life the big news is that I FINALLY got my VA board decision.  I am now service connected for Psoriatic Arthritis.  Not only that, but the changed my bilateral bursitis which was the reason I was discharged from the Army to Psoriatic Arthritis.  This means that they feel I had PsA when I left the Army in 2000 AND that they accept responsibility for it developing along with the Psoriasis they had previously accepted responsibility for.  YEAH!  Any of you who are having this same fight with the VA there are 2 court cases referenced in my decision letter and I would be happy to share them with you if you send me a message.  It may help with your evidence when you are submitting evidentiary  documents.  SOOOO I am now 80% service connected (the Psoriasis actually got a larger percentage than PsA and is rated that way because of length of time on systemic medications which is something any of you should know about as well if you are dealing with the VA in reference to Psoriasis claims) with it upgraded to 100% unemployable.  This is a HUGE blessing not only for me, but also for my girls (and any future family I have if I ever get married again).  The girls are now eligible for education benefits and health insurance because of my 100%.  They will be able to go to college without motaging their souls to do it.  It is a huge relief to me and to them.

So there is the updates that I know you were all waiting on the edge of your seat about to get HAHAHAHA.

Blessings and healing to all of you!  I'll try to be more frequent for your reading entertainment. All you US readers who don't live in AZ, don't forget to fall back tonight.  Enjoy your extra hour of today!



No comments:

Post a Comment